There’s a sea of existing data available to social science researchers. Are you taking full advantage?
The UK Data Service is offering two day-long workshops for researchers from all sectors who are thinking of using secondary data.
Day 1: Finding and evaluating data for your research (6 March 2014) will explore how research questions can be explored with data from the UK Data Service. The focus will be on:
- clarifying your research question,
- understanding different data types,
- using the UK Data Service Discover tool to locate data
- evaluating data for your research purposes.
Day 2: Starting analysis of secondary survey data (7 March 2014) follows on from the first workshop, covering basic skills in starting analysis in both cross-sectional and longitudinal microdata. Topics will include:
- using exploratory data analysis to understand your data
- understanding missing values
- deriving variables
- linking files
- applying weights
Both workshops will be held at the University of Essex, Colchester campus, located an hour northwest of central London. There is no prerequisite for either workshop; they can be attended together or separately.
Early booking is advised, as these workshops are sure to fill up quickly. See below for full details and booking information.