A confusion about making boundary in case study research

Home Forums Methodspace discussion A confusion about making boundary in case study research

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I am post graduate student. This is my first ever post in the methodspace. I have a confusion about making boundary in case study. I would grateful if you kindly help me with your intellectual effort. My request is related to my dissertation work. I have formulated my research question, ‘what factors appear to influence A level students of Bangladeshi heritage in the UK?’ I am intend to follow case study research approach. But I am bit confused about boundary of case study. If I restrict my research question into subject choice of Bangladeshi heritage, would it be alright as a boundary?  I am wondering about another thing, if I include my sample from two different places for example Bangladeshi students from east London and Bangladeshi students from Wales, at that time would it create any problem or gap in my research?

I would be really grateful if you kindly help me overcome this confusion. 

Thanks for your time 

Golam Kader Zilany 

Stephen Gorard
    Participant

I would take a step back first and sort out your RQ. Why only interested in ‘appearance’? Why not what actually influences them? Why this sub-group only? 

Only then can you select an appropriate design. Why a case study? How does that follow from your RQ? 

This is a long way from the start of a serious project. But if you clear things up first, it will save a lot of time and effort later. 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.