Approaching Issues Related to EFL from a Literary Perspective

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Approaching Issues Related to EFL from a Literary Perspective

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

The main body of research conducted on issues related to EFL lends only marginal attention to the type of texts (in L 2) to which foreign language learners are exposed. More focus on the complexities that are at work in L 2 learners experience with literary texts in the target language is therefore required to make the learning situation more successful.In most of the literature classes, students are being presented with literary texts on the faulty assumption that there are no cultural gaps that might prove to be a hindrance to their learning experience.

Dr Lubna Almenoar
    Participant

Let me first introduce myself. I find that the best way to inform anyone of who I am is through my education, work and researchwork.

I am, at present, a Lecturer in the English Department at the British University in Egypt — El Shorouk City, Cairo. I am a U.S. citizen with a PhD in English Literature and Applied Linguistics-Stylistics, as well as a master’s degree and a postgraduate teaching diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language. I have taught both in the United States and abroad.

My research is in the field of using English language translations of the Quran as material for the teaching of English language and literature to non-native English speakers. I have done extensive work in this area since 1992, and I have accumulated many case studies and classroom observations. Starting from the experience of substituting sections from the Quran for the standard classroom text, I have employed various pedagogical approaches to teaching the Quran as literature — questionnaires, stylistic analysis, comparative studies of different English language translations, linguistic analysis of verses, and so on. I have also organized a forum on this topic with experts in the field.

In doing all of this, my intention was not to look at the religious value of the verses, but at the literary value that is so abundant in both the English language translations and the original. I have been able to prepare a number of articles,about 22 articles, based on the data from my classroom experiences. I would like to publish and share my research-based findings internationally.

I think your topic-Approaching Issues Related to EFL from a Literary Perpective, is of relevance to my reseachwork. I would like to have the opportunity to have you and others who are interested to read my work. If you could assist me in the publication of my research articles, it would be wonderful indeed. The possible fields for collective publication are many: Education, ESL, Literature, English Language Teaching, Literary Texts, Linguistics, Pedagogy, Stylistics, Humanities-Education and Religious Studies. All the articles can be put under one big umbrella:

English Language Translated Versions of the Quran used as Literary Texts in the Language and Literature Classroom using Various Pedagogical Approaches.

This big umbrella can function as a platform to relevantly or thematically host as many articles you and your publication accept to publish through collective, reference,handbook, e-book or style book publication. Please contact me if you are interested in reading my research articles. I could attach them right now, but I’d really like to hear from you first.

Thank you very much for your time.I look forward to hearing from you in the very near future.

Dr Lubna Almenoar
    Lecturer
    English Department
    British University in Egypt
    Cairo – Suez Desert Road – El Sherouk City
    Hotline: 19BUE (19283)
    Tel.:+202 2689-0000
    Fax: +202 26875889 / 97
    Postal No. : 11837 – P.O. Box 43
    E-mail: info@bue.edu.eg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.