Book of the month May: Writing Up Qualitative Research

Home Forums Tools and Resources Book of the month discussions Book of the month May: Writing Up Qualitative Research

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mithu
    Participant

If you read this book tell us what you thought about it

I am currently reading the 2nd edition of this book and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone who needs a nudge in the right direction to get them writing up their research. The style is informal and relaxed with plenty of anecdotes and examples I could definitely relate to, I feel much better knowing it isn’t just me that would rather do the ironing than get on and write! I am also reassured that a lot of the activities I have been thinking of as not getting on with my writing are actually part of the ‘writing up’ process and so I have a lot less guilt this week.

Berlin Asong
    Participant

That’s true! I’ve come to understand that more of the writing occurs off-writing; that is not penning down or keying in words. Often we are pressured to think that we ought to have all the ideas and then write everything at once. In my case, there are days, penning down a single word or sentence is enough. Couple of days or weeks after I find myself writing 2000 words in just 2 hours. This because I have done much of the writing mentally, reflecting and piecing together ideas like a creative director on a filmset. I have found this style so useful whether writing a thesis or research paper.

Rick Lavin

It would be nice if discussions about specific books could actually be linked to info about the book, perhaps a cover, links to LibraryThing & Amazon, and so on.

Mithu
    Participant

Hi Rick,

That’s very useful feedback I’ll make sure for all of the book of the month and article of the month discussions we link back to where you can read more about the title.

Best
    Mithu

Rick Lavin

Great! In any case, it looks like this is a book I should get.

Rick Lavin
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.