Books or material on observation method in qualitative research

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Books or material on observation method in qualitative research

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kien Nguyen

Hi all,

Could you tell me good books or material on observation method in qualitative research?

Thank you very much.

Kien

Johnny Saldana
    Participant

What I recommend to my class are:

• Adler, Patricia A., and Peter Adler. Membership Roles in Field Research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1987. Adler and Adler’s classic monograph describes three types of participant observation roles for researchers in field settings.
    • DeWalt, Kathleen M., and Billie R. DeWalt. Participant Observation: A Guide for Fieldworkers. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 2002. This title is geared toward anthropological studies; the text reviews detailed methods for taking fieldnotes and interviewing participants; includes an excellent chapter on data analysis.
    • Emerson, Robert M., Rachel I. Fretz, and Linda L. Shaw. Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1995. This classic is a superior overview of the fieldnote-taking process and how it springboards to qualitative analysis and the write-up of the study.
    • Spradley, James P. Participant Observation. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1980. The analytic methods profiled in this classic work are exclusively Spradley’s, but several of them have become “standard” to several methodologists.

Kien Nguyen

Dear Johnny,

Many thanks for your guide. I think they very very useful for me.

Best.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.