CAN A REASEACHER USE MULTIPLE METHODS OF QUALITATIVE DATA COLLECTION?

Home Forums Default Forum CAN A REASEACHER USE MULTIPLE METHODS OF QUALITATIVE DATA COLLECTION?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rkmpps

I have just started thinking of methods of data collection for a case study project.This case study is a qualitative research project. I don’t want to limit myself to only interviews as method of data collection. What other methods can I use for data collection in a given period of around 60 days.? Suggestions are mostly needed in this regard.thank you.

E Jackson
    Participant

Hi,

There is nothing stopping you using mixed methods – if you have a read through any good qualitative research general book you will find reference to mixed methods works and justification of such a method. Collecting a mix of data is also good for triangulation purposes.

Other examples of qualitative research which might work include focus groups, ethnography (conducting observations), participant observation, action research. Really depends on the topic being studied. Have a search for journal articles on mixed methods and qualitative research and see what has been used before.

Also your interview needn’t just be a series of questions – things you might want to explore are Personal Construct Psychology (although it is not easy to master), or using different scaling methods such as Likert scales etc.

Hope this helps. I hope you have your interviews already either done or organised. My experience has shown me that they take longer than you think to organise. Then they need transcribing!!!

E

Bex Hewett
    Participant

As E says, it very much depends on your topic but if you are looking at the changing nature of a phenomena, a qualitative (or qual/quant mixed) diary might be one option – it allows you to explore within-person as well as between-person similarities and differences.

rkmpps

Thanks a lot Jackson, I will go through  once again qualitative research methods.Yes I agree with about collecting a mix of data.Thank you.

rkmpps

Thank You Hewett.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.