Can a stats test be applied to a data sample without any HYPOS?

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Can a stats test be applied to a data sample without any HYPOS?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I would like to ask: Is it possible to apply some statistical tests such as Chi-Square, t-test, etc. on a data sample without any hypotheses in place?

I am doing a qualitative study where the data I have collected is mostly on a lickert scale. But I didn’t have any hypos formed both at the beginning of the study or at this point. All I had were my research questions. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

The tests you are referring to are real tests. You cannot say that you apply a t-test without having a hypothesis in mind because the t-test is testing the hypothesis that there is no systematic difference between the means of two groups (in this specific form of t-test). Before running any test, you should decide what you are looking for and choose the proper test.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate that. I understand your points and the confusion is gone. Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.