Citation Formats

Home Forums Default Forum Citation Formats

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Martha
    Participant

Which citation formats do you use?  Do you use Citation Managers like Ref Works?

We’re just confirming the formatting of the citation formats in the product development!

David Harris
    Participant

Hi Martha,
    This sounds creepy but I like the Sage version of Harvard which is one of the least fussy ones with minimal punctuation. I have been following the discussion about citation managers and I still think you can’t go wrong with Zotero, which is very flexible — and ‘free’ (although it only works with Firefox at the moment, which is no problem for me but can upset Microsoft fans). It is being developed by a couple of good US universities too which means lots of active interest. I know Reference Works is good with integrated applications on Moodle — but I don’t think you want things too integrated anyway if you are capturing material across a range.
    Dave

Martha
    Participant

Thanks Dave – so Harvard, Zotero and Reference Works. That sounds like a good start!
    Martha

I use an author-date format (unless a journal requires differently) with in-text citations appearing in reverse chronological order, e.g. (MacQuarrie et al 2007; Barua et al 2004; Ganatra 2000) and full citations in the bibliography appearing as:
    Barua, A., Pande, R.P, MacQuarrie, K. and Walia, S. 2004. “Caring Men? Husbands’ Involvement In Maternal Care Of Young Wives.” Economic and Political Weekly 39 (52): 5661-5668.

Ganatra, B., 2000. Abortion research in India: what we know, and what we need to know. In: Jejeebhoy, S. and Ramasubban, R., eds. Women’s Reproductive Health in India. New Delhi: Rawat Publications, 186–235.

MacQuarrie, K., Edmeades J., MacAuley C., Nyblade C. and Malhotra, A., 2007. “Women, Husbands, and In-Laws: Abortion Decision-Making in Madhya Pradesh, India.” Presented at Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, March 29-31, 2007 in New York, NY.

and yes, I use a citation manager. Currently, I use EndNote but have also used Reference Manager in the past. Ref Manager works a bit better in a multi-user environment, but EndNote is sufficient for my current needs.

Martha
    Participant

Thanks for those examples Kerry! Is the format that you’ve written out a standard format, or is it something that you’ve developed yourself?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.