eBooks–How Do You Read Them?

Home Forums Default Forum eBooks–How Do You Read Them?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Samantha Daleiden
    Participant

I think, typically, there are two distinct use cases of eBooks.  1) the book you are reading out of curiosity and pleasure and 2) the book you are using to further your research initiative.

How do you use your institutions eBooks?  Do you print or download instances of the book? 

How do you envision yourself using a tool that contains research methods material ranging from whole books, book chapters, encyclopedia entries, journal articles and dictionary entries in search results?

Beat Hulliger
    Participant

Very interesting question! Of course even more interesting for SAGE 😉 I like e-books very much and at the same time I think the whole DRM issue is by far not solved.

I currently have a student working on a thesis about the usage of e-books at our university. She is carrying out a survey among students. As soon as possible I will comment on the results.

Anybody out there who already carried out a survey on this topic? Any results available?

Harriet Baulcombe
    Participant

I agree – very interesting (and being at SAGE, of course it is!). I recently carried out a small survey to find out whether people find the ‘Google preview’ feature on our website useful – and the response was very positive with over 80% agreeing that the feature would help them to make a decision about whether to purchase the book. However only a very small percentage thought that they no longer needed a print copy if they could see the book on ‘Google preview’. This is based on a very small sample, however.

My own experience as a student is that I used e-books if I needed to access less than a chapter but would prefer print for reading many pages – but most of the main texts were not available as e-books so I didn’t have the option anyway.

I would be interested to know if your student has included preview feature like Amazon search inside & Google preview in her survey.

Thanks
    Harriet

Beat Hulliger
    Participant

Different ways of using screen-reading will be asked (browse, search, read parts, read the whole book) but no specific preview facility is mentioned up to now. I will check whether we still can plug that issue in.

Thanks
    Beat

Martha
    Participant

It would be great to hear the results of your survey. We are attempting to make the SRMO product as open as possible with print and download options. It would be interesting to hear of any DRM restrictions that you feel are particularly frustrating.
    Martha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.