Evaluating Participation

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Evaluating Participation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mihaela

I wonder if any of you came across any methods and methodologies used in evaluating participation. My focus is on development projects and programs in developing countries but any other experiences are welcome.

Elwamendri
    Participant

Dear Mihaela…
    I am Elwamendri, come from developing countries. I had experienced in monitoring development district program.
    I think that participation is a word that is believed to be the public welfare. Along with democracy, civil society and good governance, participation has been so into something that should be in development. In an effort to achieve public welfare, say that: democracy as an ideology, governance as the institutions, civil society as a structure and participation as a mechanism.
    Is it really true?
    Participation traditionally understood as an approach that emerged after the failure of top-down approach that puts the community as a focus of orientation and development planning. With this focus means that people become subject and object of development. As the subject is the perspective, knowledge, priorities and skills of the community are legitimate, valid and preferred. As an object means that participation must empower the community socially, economically and politically.
    The definition of tyranny is when the participation of participation as a development system to facilitate the application of power it is not fair or legitimate. Or in another sense, it has hegemony participation of local knowledge and deceive the public.

In evaluating participation, we must know about participation indicators, like:

Participation in the group meeting (Indicator)
    a. attendance (aspect), like : the number of wooman; the number of poor people; and the number of other stake holder.
    b. reason of attendance (aspect), like: awareness; invitation; and pressure.
    c. Contribute ideas (aspect), like: woomen role; poor people role; and other stakeholder.
    d. Dicision making (aspect) like: Community aspirations accommodated in decision making; Access is provided in the decision-making process; and Representation in decision-making.

best regards

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.