First-time Transcribing Interview Data

Home Forums Default Forum First-time Transcribing Interview Data

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Job Knockey

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please give me some tips?

In particular, I am looking for anyone who could recommend a good (hopefully free) program, which allows you to automatically insert the name of the current speaker into the interview data. This is particularly important, as there were 4 people in the interview and typing names in manually will be extremely laborious.

I hope you understand what I mean, something like Transcriber would be great (which I would use, except when I try using it, as soon as I try loading an audio file it crashes).

IN ADDITION:

Could anyone give me advice on how to label the interviewees? I was talking to individuals from a police force. Should I use their job titles and keep their names anonymous?

Job Knockey

Hello? Anyone? Please help.

NVivo8
    http://www.qsrinternational.com/default.aspx

“Qualitative research is all about exploring issues, understanding phenomena and answering questions. It happens in nearly every workplace, it’s just you might not know it by its formal name. Qualitative research uses unstructured information – like field notes, videos, transcripts and audio recordings, instead of numbers to arrive at conclusions. The software lets you manage, shape and make sense of this information quickly and easily.”

Hi Knockey!

The f4 software will help you with the transcriptions and allows you to insert the names of speakers with shortcuts. It’s free!

http://www.audiotranskription.de/english/f4.htm

Dear Knockey

The reply from ILLONKA has helped me as well as I plan to do my Ist interview this week.

from Dayanithee chetty(PRISSIE)

hi Knockey

Silvia has helped me as well as I need to be transcribing my 1st interview.

thank you
    PRISSIE( D.chetty)

Aisha Amir Ahmed
    Participant

Thanks! I was looking for something like this. Just beginning transcription for my masters’ thesis project.

Hazel Burke

Dear all
    We’ve just produced a toolkit to help people with transcribing their qualitative data. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/realities/resources/toolkits/transcribing-your-data/. You might have all started your transcribing now though – good luck!
    Hazel Burke

Nadia Ahouari_Idri
    Participant

Dear all:
    here are two documents published by sage.
    Good luck

rachel

This is really helpful thanks !

Thanks Nadia…it’s good articles

Abeya El Bakry
    Participant

NVivo 9 allows a free trial period, you can use it for a month for on a trial basis, I don’t know how much limitation there is in using it, but I believe it is useful and you can section your interviews as you find suitable : )
    Yes, you should use their job titles but leave their names anonymous. that’s appropriate.

I  agree with Job. It is an issue of “ethical considerations”. In addition to what Job has said, if the use of an interviewee’s job/occupational title has any potential of identifying her/him, you will be better off just using an identifier such as Interviewee #1, Interviewee #2 etc, on the other hand, you might want to consider using a pseudonym and inform your reader that you have done this for reasons of ethics and confidentiality.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.