Guiedelines and techniques of interview in GTM

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Guiedelines and techniques of interview in GTM

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sureena

Hi all,

Could anyone here advice on how to ask the question for interview in GT. Is there any guidelines and techniques that researchers in GT have applied in their study? please help. Thanks

Hi Sureena,

Interviewing within a GT study is not prescriptive in as much as you need to think about what it is you are trying to understand.

For example, in my PhD study I have been interested in the understandings local government staff bring in relation to community recreation opportunities available to people with disabilities. I developed an interview schedule that included a number of topics I thought may be of some interest and asked broad questions surrounding these topics. During the interviews I was mnidful to allow particiaptns to explore and expand on the various aspects they thought were important. I did need to ask probing questions, such as “Tell me a little more about______” or “Can you describe what this means?” to enable me to get a better and deeper understanding of areas that were of interest to the particiaptns.

As I continued to collect and analyse data I was able to begin to focus subsequent interviws on topics that appeared to be continually raised by previous particiaptns as well as probe for diversity or views. his has enabled me to better develop an understanding of the issues within my study as well construct a theory that has both resonance with those involved as well as depth conceptually.

I did find Kathy Charmaz’s publication Constructing grounded theory :a practical guide through qualitative analysis publishe in 2006 by Sage very useful in understanding the ways and means to approach interviewing.

Hope this helps.

Richrd

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.