I need help with suggestions for a study to develop model for use of technology in catholic worship

Home Forums Methodspace discussion I need help with suggestions for a study to develop model for use of technology in catholic worship

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Dankasa
    Participant

I want to do a study to develop a model for effective implementation of technology in Catholic worship. Please I need help with suggestions on the starting point, possible research design and some suitable theoretical frameworks to guide my study.

Stephen Gorard
    Participant

Surely there is a contradiction at the heart of your question here. I understand the term ‘effective’ in relation to desired improved outcomes. Read Chapter 2 in 

Gorard, S. (2013) Research Design: Robust approaches for the social sciences, London: SAGE, ISBN 978-1446249024, 218 pages

for a model leading to testing. I attach a brief section as illustration. 

But as social scientists we should not be trying to improve delusions like religious worship. There are so many real problems in the world. Surely it is preferable ethically and practically to address one of these. 

Jacob Dankasa
    Participant

Thanks Stephen for the reference, I will get to it. Could you please explain more to me what you mean when you referred to religious worship as a ‘delusion’. Don’t you think that finding ways to improve religious worship with the use of technology could be ‘real’ problem for religious people and for social scientists with research interest on religion?

Stephen Gorard
    Participant

No. I don’t. Surely as responsible social scientists we should be helping them to see the delusion not pandering to it. 

Jacob Dankasa
    Participant

Great sharing your opinion on that. I will look for the book you mentioned! Thanks for your response.

amanpreet kaur
    Participant

Thanx Mr Stephen for suggesting me. Could you please tell me particular statistical tests to be used for its analysis.

Jacob Dankasa
    Participant

Hello Stephen,
    I have battled over your response and reflected on your words. I have come to the conclusion that I don’t have to give in to your discouraging advice on researching on the topic I suggested simply because it is related to religion. You may probably not be leaning towards such a research but to call it a delusion is grossly overboard. I think and strongly believe that researchers can break grounds even into those areas that some people view as irrelevant because of their personal perceptions. Religious worship may not be important to you but that doesn’t make it irrelevant for those who value it. Research should not have boundaries and if it deals with human activities, it shouldn’t be considered irrelevant simply because it has a connection with the divine. I believe that religious worshippers are human subjects and study of human subjects in religious worship shouldn’t be considered irrelevant. Thanks for your response. But as a man of faith and a researcher, I see no boundaries in breaking new grounds where others find difficult to see relevance in exploring because of personal convictions. Real social scientists are not afraid to test the validity of what others call delusions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.