Lincoln & Guba’s Naturalistic Inquiry

Home Forums Default Forum Lincoln & Guba’s Naturalistic Inquiry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Katy Gregg

I am currently engaged in my dissertation research which is looking at inclusion in early childhood ed at one particular high quality center. For my prospectus defense, I focused on Lincoln & Guba’s 1985 text on “Naturalistic Inquiry” as I am using interviews, observation, and some document analysis. Their description of conducting and collecting data appeals to me. My committee is curious of updated explanations of their work, but do not have much to suggest as where to look. I have found Lincoln and Denzin’s work on differing criteria to judge quality of qualitative research that is more up to date, but nothing on Naturalistic Inquiry. If anyone out their could guide me to places to either start my search or perhaps share information on other terms currently being used for “naturalistic inquiry” I would be very appreciative.
    Thank you, Katy Gregg
    PhD Student, UGA- Child & Family Development

Betania Allen-Leigh
    Participant

Although it has been a long time since I read “Naturalistic Inquiry”, in my opinion what the authors describe -using a combination of interviews, observation, document analysis- is basically ethnographic research, or a general description of “qualitative research” as used in grounded theory. The books I find most useful on this group of methodologies are:H. Russell Bernard, Research methods in anthropology: qualitative and quantitative approaches; M.Q. Patton, Qualitative evaluation and research methods, and Janice Morse, Readme first for a user’s guide to qualitative methods, Qualitative research methods for health professionals, Qualitative health research (she has two newer books I have not read, Nature of qualitative evidence and Completing a qualitative project). Morse also has many editorials in Qualitative Health Research, and an article on validity of qualitative research: http://www.ualberta.ca/~iiqm/backissues/1_2Final/pdf/morseetal.pdf
    Hope this helps, Betania Allen-Leigh

I might be late to respond to your query, but I have just joined this chat, could you also look this web site I found the material very useful especially on validity and reliability matters

http://www.ualberta.ca/~iiqm/backissues/1_2Final/pdf/morseetal.pdf

Katy Gregg

Thank you…. I am still collecting interview and observation data so definitely not too late. Looks like a very helpful article, I appreciate your feedback.

Hi Katy,
    Narrative Inquiry by Clandinnin, D. & Connelly, F. (2000). (Narrative inquiry: Experience and story in qualitative research. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. ) might be helpful as well. Lincoln & Denzin have edited 3 Handbooks by Sage that include plenty of “naturalistic” examples as well. The Sage Dictionary of Qualitative Inquiry by Thomas Schandt (2007) is another really good reference that may assist you in determining what is closest to your definition of naturalistic inquiry in a 2009 version. Hopefully, these few suggestions will assist you. Good luck to you. Naturalistic Inquiry is the classic and a seminal work.

Katy Gregg

Thank you for your help!

Hi Katy,

Hows your research coming along?

Gary Thomas

Katy

You may find Martyn Hammersley’s seminars on ‘Quality in qualitative research’ useful. He gave them at an ESRC seminar series which I led. They should be available at http://www.education.bham.ac.uk/research/seminars1/esrc_4/index.shtml though I have just checked the link and it’s not working! I’ve just asked for this to be sorted, though … so try again in a couple of days and hopefully it will be working (we have a new website). Alternatively, if you want a very simple guide you may find my book How to do your research project useful.

Good luck

Gary

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.