Measuring the impact of home video movie

Home Forums Default Forum Measuring the impact of home video movie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ibrahim Bello
    Participant

We have produced a home video movie with a particular message on women’s right in Northern Nigerian society and would like to show the movie to a select group of audience and then measure its impact on public awareness and attitude towards women. What method do I use to achieve this, can anyone help, please? Ibrahim Bello, Nigeria

Jenny Hall

This sounds interesting. I guess if you are going to measure the ‘impact’ of something you have to start by knowing what their views and attitudes are to start with. If this is a ‘select’ group you will have to be clear why you have selected these people as you may deliberatly shoose people who already ahve an interest in women’s rights- or those who you know are ambivalent towards these issues. I suppose you will need some sort of psychological scale on attitudes to start with- others may be able to suggest these to you- and also a questionnaire to establish their views and knowledge on womens rights. I wonder if you then measure this again after the video but also could repeat it again 6 months down the line to see if the impact remains. If you were not intending on specifically measuring ‘impact’ but more their emotional responses you could just show the video and then do interviews on all these people to have a more qualitative response?
    Just some thoughts jenny

Ibrahim Bello
    Participant

Thanks Jenny Hall for your contributions to my question. We have already designed the questionnaire to establish their views and knowledge. What is new to us is the psychological scale on attitude which you suggested we start with. I will appreciate if others can help with how to go about that. Kindest regards, I. B.

David Brown
    Participant

Ibrahim – You might also consider using a comparison or ‘control’ group who will not see the video. This could be important since just asking people to self-report on their attitudes about something can affect the nature of those self-reports, even without any ‘intervention’ (such as your video). If you want to focus on assessing the impact of the video, the optimal approach may be to (a) have a group who see the video and a comparable group that does not, (b) take some kind of measure of attitudes from people in both groups at the same two points in time, say a week before the first group sees the video and then again a week later, and (c) use some a way of measuring their attitudes that is standardized enough to permit comparison across time and groups. On the other hand, if you instead mainly wish to first explore the kind of responses people have to the videos (i.e., how they interpret and feel about them), then a less structured and standardized approach may be the method of choice–as suggested by Jenny. Cheers. – David

Ibrahim Bello
    Participant

David-Thanks for your additional contribution to my question. Given the circumstances we found ourselves over here it might be easier to adopt Jenny’s suggestion–the less structured approach. But my other question is: will the less structured and standardized approach be accepted as piece of research work? Regards. I.B

David Brown
    Participant

Ibrahim – Acceptance will be likely be dependent on the nature and politics of whatever group you are trying to convince. It will also depend on the kind of knowledge claims to want to make, In general, I imagine that if you are claiming that you have evidence that the video generates certain kinds of responses and therefore might have promise as a way to affect the attitudes in question, then the less structured approach leaves you on pretty solid ground. However, if you want to claim that you have evidence that the video actually has an impact (i.e., “is effective”), then the less structured approach will leave you in a weaker position. If feasible, you might want to conduct the qualitative approach as a first step and see what can be accomplished with your intended audience. If the results look promising, but they still want firmer evidence of actual impact, then you might look at a more structured approach–should resources be available. Best of luck. – David

Ibrahim Bello
    Participant

David– I reckon that was a very good way of getting started at the project.I am grateful to you and Jenny for helping out. I.B

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.