“Mixed Methods Day” May 16th, 2012, University of Illinois-Champaign

Home Forums Default Forum “Mixed Methods Day” May 16th, 2012, University of Illinois-Champaign

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John W. Creswell
    Participant

This is an announcement that the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, 2012, will have a “Mixed Methods Day” on May 16th at the University of Illinois- Campaign.  You can go to their Website at http://www.icqi.org/ and see information for the general Congress.  The Congress attracts scholars from around the world and in many social and health science disciplines.  The “Mixed Methods” day be our effort to bring together US and international scholars interested in the study and use of mixed methods research.  It will be held on May 16th as a special day preceding the Congress conference. We will have invited speakers, special topic panels, and contributed research papers.  Thanks.  John Creswell, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Sharlene Hesse-Biber, Boston College, and Burke Johnson, University of South Alabama

Santosh Mishra
    Participant

Thank you sir! It is a pleasure to have you on this platform. I would love to be in touch with you and learn more about how to use mixed methods in Second language Research. Thank you, sir!

John W. Creswell
    Participant

Santosh,  Glad to have your acquaintance.  I am doing some work in the area of foreign language education right now with the Cambridge University (UK) assessment organization.  We are at work on a manuscript that discusses the use of mixed methods designs within language arts education.  In terms of second language research, I am not familiar with applications, but mm is spreading so widely right now that it is hard to keep up with its spread.  Let me know if you have found any second language research applications of mixed methods research.  Thanks.  John Creswell

Santosh Mishra
    Participant

Dear sir,

Thank you for such a wonderful reply! I have read a book on Research Methodology (published in 2003) and liked it.  Your name is a familiar one to me. However, not many teachers know and read on Mixed Methods here in India. When I was doing my M. Phil., my professor did not pay attention when I started drawing his attention to Mixed Approaches. Now that I am in Ph. D., I have got a little more freedom to choose my research design. 

I am planning to write a paper on Teaching Academic Speaking to engineering students. This is an experimental study for which I have chosen two groups: one controlled and the other one, experimental. I have selected a group of five students from the thirty students in the experimental group. I have observed them closely and got a lot of data (descriptive in nature) about the intervention. I am planning to analyze the obtained data using Mixed Methods since I think the study has followed an embedded design. Could you comment on the above plan?

I tried to convince my library to get one of your books published in 2010 but failed. I saw a few sample pages on Google Books and wanted to use it for my study. In this situation, your suggestion may be of great help. Thank you so much, sir!

Kind regards

Santosh

It is very intersting to have a day for research methdology.what exactly is done on this day. It is something like mother’s day, world HIV/AIDS day etc.

Who and how can one be part of this day? Mixed Methods day sounds very intersting. As I am a reserach methodologist, I teach Mixed method, and I understand that in most research mixed methods are used.

experimental is more quantitative and number based so how will it be done through discprition?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.