Mixed methods in Marital Research

Home Forums Default Forum Mixed methods in Marital Research

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Betty Akumatey
    Participant

I am using a sequential mixed methods approach for my doctoral thesis, which seeks to explore the meanings that men and women attach to marriage in Ghana, in relation to their marital behaviour and marital quality. My plan is to first use a couple-based quantitative survey to describe variations in marital meaning, marital behaviour and perceptions of marital quality among different marital cohorts namely: those married for less than 5 years, those married for 5-10 years, 11-20 years and those married for more than 20 years. The survey will draw on western indicators of marital quality in order to assess their applicability in the Ghanaian (African) context. In addition I plan to use inductive probing techniques via in-depth interviewing and focus group discussions to explore contextual factors and processes associated with the meanings that 40 of the couples who featured in the survey ( i.e 10 couples from each cohort) ascribe to marriage. The purpose this is to obtain a better understanding of the interaction between the key analytical concepts in the study and to explore culturally specific variations. I would welcome any comments on the suitability of the mixed methods approach proposed for this study, as well as suggestions to improve the proposed design  

Betty

Departmant of Sociology

University of Ghana

Legon

shaun

Hi Betty
    Waht is yr plan to analyse the qualitative data ?, any specific method ?

Betty Akumatey
    Participant

Shaun, thanks! I plan to use AnSWR (analysis software for word based records) to do thematic coding to facilitate analysis.

shaun

Sound good, well done!. although I am not familiar with the software. Have you consider NVivo to assist you with data analysis or IPA (interpretative Phenomenological Analysis). I think IPA sits nicely with the philosophical position of your study. IPA is ‘quite descriptive’ in method of data analysis and some researcher combine the use of NVivo with IPA.
    All the best.

Betty Akumatey
    Participant

Great, thanks for the information. i know of NVivo, but not IPA so I’ll find out more about it.
    Regards.

Eli Lieber
    Participant

You might also take a look at a VERY new product called Dedoose. I’ve been doing mixed methods work in academia for years. Years ago we built a rudimentary tool called EthnoNotes. It’s evolved into Dedoose, inexpensive, web-based, and designed specifically for mixed methods work.

Betty Akumatey
    Participant

Thanks, Eli, your product looks quite simple to use and interesting. I watched your brief video demonstration online. I’d like to try it. How do I access it? I’m currently in Ghana. Is it available online for purchase?
    Regards,

Betty

Eli Lieber
    Participant

We’ve actually invited a number of people from Methodspace to check it out. There is a form to submit an account order on our website. What we need to set you up for a free demo is full name, email address, phone number, mailing address, user name, preferred initial password and a brief project title/description. You can also email the information to me directly at elieber@dedoose.com. Once your account is set, all you need is Internet access and a browser.

Cheers,

Eli

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.