“Narrative” Survey in abortion research

Home Forums Default Forum “Narrative” Survey in abortion research

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello fellow researchers,

I share with you a recently published article on the application of mixed methods in the study of abortion in developing countries:

Edmeades et al. 2010. “Methodological Innovation in Studying Abortion in Developing Countries: A “Narrative” Quantitative Survey in Madhya Pradesh, India.” Journal of Mixed Methods Research. 4(3):1-22. (forthcoming: published OnlineFirst)

http://mmr.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/1558689810365699v1

I trust many of you will have access to the full text as it is a Sage-published journal.

It blends quantitative and qualitative methods in a single instrument, rather than in the traditional qualitative-quantitative-qualitative sequence.  To do so, it makes use of narrative methods and asks respondents to tell the story of their married lives, anchored around key events like pregnancies.  While it makes use of narrative methods, it does not do so in a “pure” way, but is melded with traditional survey techniques.  Substantive findings have been/are being published elsewhere.  I would be very interested in your reactions to the methodology, particularly with regards to what other applications and adaptations this method may have.  I would also be interested in hearing from others who are doing narrative or mixed methods research in other areas of reproductive health and allied issues.

Regards,

Kerry MacQuarrie

Sociology Dept, University of Washington

Roy Williams

Hi Kerry, haven’t read it yet 🙁

The Nested Narratives that we do is specifically designed to enable exploration of tacit knowledge and understanding, and yields very rich stories about the interaction between learning and identity. May be of interest. There is a link to a methodology paper here.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.