non parametric partial correlations

Home Forums Methodspace discussion non parametric partial correlations

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    maria

I have a stats problem and hope someone out there can help.

I have 4 variables, most of which are non normal.  I wanted to do an ANCOVA but as the data was non-normal I ran a Quades analysis.

Now I need to run some partial correlations.  I can run the bivariate correlations using Kendall’s tau on SPSS but am not sure what to do about the partial correlations?

I have a small sample (n=55) with lots of tied scores.

thanks

maria

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes, there are extensions for the concept of ‘partial correlation’ for using Kendall’s tau/Spearman’s rho. but i doubt they can be calculated by default in SPSS. 

now, when you say you have 4 variables which are non-normal… what do you exactly mean? please bare in mind that the distributional assumption of normality is on the residuals of the linear model and not the variables themselves

Stephen Gorard
    Participant

Or use regression/correlation based on mean absolute deviations (from either the mean or the median). These make no assumptions about normal distributions or even co-linearity. 

ANCOVA is a glorified significance test. Avoid like the plague. My guess is you do not have a complete random sample anyway. Apologies if you do (it would be the first I have ever encountered). 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.