Numerical value to mixed methods

Home Forums Default Forum Numerical value to mixed methods

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shaun

Hello all ….

There is a degree of continuum in research from monomethod  to fully mixed method.  The problem is how we can define full mixed method study.  What is the definition of full mixed method? Is there any guideline ?

Is that possible to put a numerical value to the level of mixing in mixed methods study? thus determining whether it is full or partial mixed methods.   For example : This research is  consider as full mixed method study as there is 90% level of mixing  between two monomethods.

This could be achieved by giving priority and weight to the area of mixing.  For example: Mixed purpose of the study = 10%, data analysis = 25% etc.

Note : Putting the value to the level of mixing could add the impression that mixed method is positivism dressed in mixed method.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

shaun

Hello Kim, many thanks for the feedback.

I agree that there is issue regarding definition of full mixed methods and what precisely type of mixing. May be the numerical value could be base on the mixed method design. Nevertheless, I believe by putting a numerical values is another steps to define full mixed method.

Pat Bazeley
    Participant

Shaun,
    I think that trying to put a numeric value on the level of mixing in methods is a crazy idea – what purpose does it serve? Simply being able to put a label on something doesn’t necessarily help the reader understand what has been done – not even qualitative and quantitative have agreed upon definitions or criteria (because they describe a multidimensional continuum), or take something presumably quite specific like grounded theory for example and see how many variations of that abound. A label doesn’t help much without the accompanying description/explanation of methods.
    Critically, how much you mix, what you mix, and when is an issue that is determined by a) the question you are asking, and b) what kind of data you have, so the issue is one of appropriateness, not scale.
    I have just presented a paper at the 6th Mixed Methods Conference in Baltimore about some of the different ways of integrating data and analyses – this will be available on the conference website soon, but in the meantime, it is available on mine, http://www.researchsupport.com.au, on the mixed methods resources page. You might also check out the editorial I wrote for the Journal of Mixed Methods Research (Vol3, No. 3).
    Pat

shaun

Dear Dr Pat
    Thanks for the advice and the information.

Highly appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.