17th December 2012 at 7:44 pm #1896Peter GoldsteinMember
InterMedia, the global research and evaluation consulting group, currently has an exciting opportunity for a highly qualified and dynamic research professional to join our organization to oversee and lead a major quantitative and qualitative research program on Financial Inclusion and Mobile Money for a major philanthropic client.
Based in Washington, D.C., London and Nairobi, InterMedia’s staff of research and consulting professionals work in developing countries and emerging markets worldwide, often among hard to reach populations. InterMedia collaborates with local research partners and places emphasis on strengthening local research capacity. We have provided evidence for decision making in more than 100 countries by giving clients the insights, data and tools to help them understand environments, engage people and achieve positive impact. Our client base spans the global development, media and government sectors.
The International Research Lead Position
One of InterMedia’s primary areas of activity is research on the use of information and communication technologies to further development goals, with emphasis on providing actionable insights about the user (or demand-side) experience. This includes a high-profile program of work focusing on the uptake and use of mobile money and other mobile-based financial services, primarily in Africa and South Asia. The reporting and analysis from this research provides strategic guidance for funders, mobile operators, regulators, NGOs and other stakeholders in the sector.
Through working closely with InterMedia’s research specialists and guiding a dedicated practice area team, the International Research Lead will have a keen interest in the subject area and seasoned research skills (including demonstrated field research experience in developing countries). The International Research Lead will conceive innovative approaches to this expanding body of research and contribute to a broader body of sectorial knowledge. The International Research Lead will also forge constructive collaboration with other organizations active in financial inclusion/mobile money research, as well as play a prominent role in disseminating findings and insights through presentations, workshops and other methods.
Key Duties include:
- Provide intellectual and analytical leadership for InterMedia’s quantitative and qualitative research activities in the financial inclusion and mobile money fields.
- He or she will be proficient at selecting appropriate research methodologies and conducting meaningful analysis of quantitative and qualitative data. He or she will also be actively involved in growing the practice area by contributing to, as well as leading, the development of proposals and budgets for new business opportunities.
- Produce high-quality reports which synthesize findings into compelling and actionable insights and recommendations
- Take proactive ownership of a large portfolio of international projects focusing on dynamics at the user/consumer level.
- Guide a dedicated InterMedia team focused on expanding work in this area.
- Serve an essential role in relationships with the client, notably by providing guidance on project design, implementation and analysis.
- Ensure the timely and high quality execution of outputs throughout the project life cycle, particularly in the analysis and reporting stages
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in social science, economics or a related field with a strong background in social science research methods
- Strong familiarity with the range of quantitative and qualitative research methods, as well as field research practices
- Team supervision and client relations experience
- At least seven years of research experience, ideally including work in the field of financial access, financial services for the poor and/or mobile money
- Proven ability to use analytics to answer strategic questions, appropriately selecting the relevant multi-variate and qualitative analytical techniques and effectively communicating recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to write compelling analytical reports
- Familiarity with analytical software such as SPSS and Nvivo.
- Foreign language ability is a plus.
This position is based in Washington, DC, with approximately 10-15 percent travel. InterMedia offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, and a stimulating and friendly work environment.
We invite qualified candidates to email a resume, current compensation details, and a cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this position, and, if available, an example of relevant research work to IRLead@intermedia.org. EOE/M/F/V/D
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.