prediction of undergraduate Grade Point Average from university entrance examination scores

Home Forums Default Forum prediction of undergraduate Grade Point Average from university entrance examination scores

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

what research design and data analytic tool will be useful in a thesis set to predict first year GPA from two different university entrance examination scores that are administered to students for university admissions.

thanks,
    ayibaerefitei Joseph

Hi
    I would use a case study design…why ? I feel that you are examining two schools and looking at their situation that is unique only to them. the cases would have to be compared. as to whether or no to use a mixed methods approach would depend on who are ALL of the kep players in your research question.

Tools – Document analysis of the scores, criteria, (exception to some of the rules – advance placement students with other degrees, transfer students, study abroad students, professional development etc) – trends for how many years in the past and how many years into the future?

GMAT, SAT, LDAT, AP, SAT II etc scores – quantative. You would need to triangulate your data

Admission essays, ??? what else gets a GOOD student into a university? I say GOOD to ask are you looking for a standard or a type of student?

Hi
    Try this data collection tips

Although I am unfamiliar with the methods that the last researcher spoke of I think what is more common here is simple regression. Regression is use to identify the predictive ability of variables on some criterion here you have entrance examination scores (a continuous variable) and first year GPA (another continuous variable.). This analysis can be done in many programs such as SPSS or SAS (and probably Excel, though I’m not positive). There are several websites that can explain regression. Here is just one.

http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/prediction.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.