Qualitative Interviewing by mail

Home Forums Default Forum Qualitative Interviewing by mail

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Are there any reports or experiences in qualitative interviewing by mail?

Hi,

Surely there is. But whoever conducts a qualitative research via mail, knows that there is no way better to gather his/her needy data. For example, the researcher could not make an appointment with his/her key informants. Also, he/she could not afford to travel to another region to meet the participants directly and face-to-face. Interestingly, some participants prefer to answer researchers questions without being met face-to-face. Maybe they are busy or are scared of being interviewed so on. Therefore, they suggest indirect interviews via mail.

Some times, researcher wants to respect to the rule of “maximum sample variant” and at the same time does not have access to all participants (he/she can not gather data at the same time in one place), therefore use the mail route to gather data.

So any way, clever researchers who are knowledgeable of qualitative research methodology, know that conducting a qualitative research requires frequent meeting with participants in order to clarify the participants statements during interviews. And makes his/her data as complete as possible.

To be honest, you may gather data using mail interview, but surely the data will not have a similar quality of the data gathered using direct face-to-face interview. No one can guarantee the quality of gathering data via mail. Your participants may lose their temper and reject to continue mail interview process. Then, you remain with a bulk of data, which are worthless and scrappy.

I do suggest you to read the below book, which provide you with information on the different kinds of data gathering in qualitative method as well as their advantages and disadvantages.

Corbin J, Strauss A. Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. Sage publication, 3rd edition, 2008.

Best,

Siavash from Persia.

Hello,

thank you very much for the information you sent!
    I will buy the book and get through the techniques and procedures!

Best regards from Bonn (Germany),
    Kathrin Rosi

Dear Kathrin

I forgot to inform you of another interesting book on qualitative research:

Streubert Speziale HJ, Carpenter DR. Qualitative research in Nursing: Advancing the Humanistic Imperative. 4th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2007.

However, reading below book will provide you with more information on data gathering methods in qualitative as well as quantitative researches:

Polit DF, Beck CT. Nursing Research: Principles and method. 7th ed. Lippincott/Williams & Wilkins, 2003.

I have this book in the digital format and many articles on qualitative research data gathering and analysis.
    Here this is my email address: vaismoradi_2007@hotmail.com

I will be happy to send you the book and the articles via email.

Do not hesitate, contact me please.

With my Best wishes from Persia,

Siavash

Hi, if you mean email interviewing then I should point you in the direction of the same book that I recommended to Annie Irvine: James & Busher’s ‘Online Interviewing’ (SAGE 2009). This has some excellent discussions of theory and method in online interviewing.
    Best wishes,
    Patrick

Dr. Swati Bute
    Participant

for my PhD i did qualitative intrview by mail..its very time consuming and mojitaba suggested its difficult to gather data…its necessary to follow up frequently.

Dr. Swati Bute
    Participant

for my PhD i did qualitative interviews by mail but its very time consuming and difficult to get replies on time..as all the interviwees do not check mails regularly. when i did interviews that time internet was not very much in use in India so i also faced some technical difficulties in getting reply.

Hello!

Thank you very much for the hint you sent. I have not known this book before! Thanks!

Best regards from Bonn,
    Kathrin Rosi Würtz

CA Whitlock
    Participant

Hi everyone

Can I also suggest another book worth reading:

“Using Qualitative Methods in Organizational Research” by Thomas W. Lee. Sage, 1999.

You should be able to buy it from amazon (dot) com but look in the “used” books section – they are much cheaper than new and usually in v good condition. Brand new, this one is costly.

Best of luck!
    Cheryl-Anne

Dear friends

I have found a book entitled: Conducting Research Surveys Via E-Mail and The Web
    by: Matthias Schonlau

Here is the file download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DMYQY580
    I hope you find the book useful.

Best,

Siavash
    PhD candidate of nursing from Persia.

Dear friends

I have found a nice book entitled: Conducting Research Surveys Via E-Mail and The Web
    by: Matthias Schonlau

Here is the file download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DMYQY580

I hope you find the book helpful
    Best,

Siavash
    PhD candidate from Persia.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.