Quantitative measurment for the Span of Managemet of a manager

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Quantitative measurment for the Span of Managemet of a manager

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi everybody. I appreciate if anyone would challenge on this:

Looking for a quantitative measurement for Span of Management of a Manager is wasting time because it is all about intuition.

Katie Metzler
    Participant

Sorry Mohammad, I don’t really understand the question. Are you asking whether we can hope to quantitatively measure what makes a manager able to have a wide vs narrow management span in order to teach those skills to others? Are you asking whether quant methods are the right approach, vs say qualitative methods to attempt to understand what ‘intuition’ really means in a manager and whether there are parts of what we call intuition that actually can also be taught? I don’t really understand the context…

As far as I can see from the literature, there are a number of factors that influence span of management, not just managers’ skills/”intution”. They might include the following, sourced from wikianswers and supported by some other sources I came across online:

1. competence of supervisor and subordinate
    2. physical dispersion of subordinates
    3. extent of nonsupervisory work in managers job
    4. degree of required interaction
    5. extent of standardized procedures
    6. similarity of tasks being supervised
    7. frequency of new problems
    8. preferences of supervisors and subordinate

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_factors_influencing_the_span…

Hi, Katie and thanks for your comment.

You are right with your prior guess. As a matter of fact I am trying to formulate a procedure by which a managerial consultant could quantitatively and rapidly measure the ability (strength & weakness) of a Manager to see if he suits his/ her capacity or what are his/her needs to become appropriate for the job.(for me this is very important in change management of an organization while implementing the strategies).

Of course as you know management is described as two parts of science and art. I believe the measurement of scientific part is not as challenging as the other part (art).

Once more thanks for participating in the discussion while I appreciate your suggestions from wikianswers and welcome any interest on quantitative discovery of “Span of Management” of a manager.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.