Reading list

Home Forums Default Forum Reading list

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aliya
    Participant

One for the bookworms. Any books or articles on Internet ethnography that you have loved/hated? Share them here!

Aliya
    Participant

Here are some of the recommendations that appear elsewhere on the page gathered together in one place!

• Facebook, Daniel Miller
    • Invisible Users, Jenna Burrell
    • Digital Anthropology, eds. Horst and Miller
    • Netnography: Doing ethnographic research online, Robert Kozinets
    • Duoethnography, Richard D Sawyer and Joe Norris
    • Online Interviews in Real Time, Janet Salmons
    • Cases in Online Interview Research, Janet Salmons

Aliya
    Participant

“Many were engaged in deeply immersive, social experiences in a virtual space. Their physical presence in the café became muted and hollow. These social experiences were frustratingly difficult for me to observe as a researcher, materialized primarily as scrolling text in a small window…”

From: Burrell, J., 2009. ‘The Field Site as a Network: A Strategy for Locating Ethnographic Research’ [online]. London: Sage. Available from: http://fmx.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/21/2/181, p.188

Aliya
    Participant

At the moment I’m reading Ethnography and Virtual Worlds: A Handbook of Method by Boellstorff, Nardi, Pearce, and Taylor. It’s worth a look.

Ali Messer
    Participant

Hi Aliya

worth a look because …? I am also interested in this area.

Ali

Aliya
    Participant

Hey Ali

Thanks for your question! It’s a handbook so it’s pretty good for anyone looking for practical advice. The editor, Tom Boellstorff, is author of a famous ethnography of a virtual world Coming of Age in Second Life and is respected in this field so it’s cool to read his thoughts. He also makes a good case for why ethnography is important for understanding online activity at the beginning of the book, which I thought was interesting to read.

A

Aliya
    Participant

A free sample chapter from Analyzing Social Networks by Stephen P Borgatti, Martin G Everett and Jeffrey C Johnson is available at the moment which might be of interest to this group. Download the chapter here http://www.uk.sagepub.com/upm-data/55386_Borgatti_ch_1.pdf

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.