Regarding questionnaires, how can “subjective values” be compared or averaged?

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Regarding questionnaires, how can “subjective values” be compared or averaged?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    For example, respondent A may minimize things and so, his “agree” is really “strongly agree” where as respondent D tends to over-exaggerate matters and so, her “strongly disagree” is really “disagree.”
    Assuming these differences cancel each other does not seem prudent, or I am mistaken?
    Wouldn’t it be necessary to first establish each respondent’s baseline before asking opinion / subjective questions?
    Note. my question is not about (re)coding i.e. Strongly agree => 1, …
    Thanks in advance for any clarification or suggestions.
    Be well,
     JS
    Muir Houston

How can you know that that is their interpretation? Presumably that is why you normally have a number of items to measure the same construct or latent variable

Thank you for your response.

Yes, respondents’ scoring could be similar, but it would be dangerous to assume this is / will be the case.
    (Pls, refer to latest version of Practical Research by Ormrod & Leedy, page 144.) Unfortunately, they do not offer a way to account for or minimize this idiosyncratic variability between respondents.

In doing my literature review, I looked at several research questionnaires. All but one survey used 3 to 4 items to measure the construct. However, most of the surveys examined (not specifically search for) used a series of Likert-scale questions to measure a construct.

To me, this results in measuring a construct on multiple subjective dimensions.

Your thoughts …

JS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.