Research topic

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Research topic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ana
    Participant

I am a doctoral student who had selected a topic on ptsd.  I am already in my research 3 course and I had planned on utilizing quantitative methods as my test tool, but just learned that my topic was rejected, even though it was deemed viable in both my research 1 and 2 courses.  At this time I am starting from the beginning, and need to find another topic.  Would anyone know who can assist me in research to find a new topic?

Katie Metzler
    Participant

Hi Ana,

There is some very useful information available online which can help you to come up with a research topic – do a Google search for ‘Choosing a Research Topic’ and then look for results which come from sources you trust ( a number of Universities offer tips online for free). This can hopefully help you to brainstorm some ideas.

The next step is to refine your topic into a research question or questions. Then choose a method that’s appropriate for your question. You might want to get hold of a copy of one of the books below, as they have very good introductions to how you can pick a topic and from that develop a researchable question and then match it with appropriate methods of data collection and analysis.

http://www.uk.sagepub.com/books/Book232627?siteId=sage-uk&prodTypes=any&q=gray&fs=1

http://www.uk.sagepub.com/books/Book231777?siteId=sage-uk&prodTypes=any&q=gilbert&fs=1

Was your initial proposal rejected because of ethics approval? If so, you need to get very clear guidelines from your institution about your ethics committee’s requirements – they will be different for every institution. If not, you need to find out why it was rejected so that you know what to watch out for this time around.

Good luck!

Katie

Ana
    Participant

No, my topic was rejected because it focused on PTSD and the female combat veteran. I was told in no uncertain terms that this population did not exist. Can you believe it? Tell that to all the women that died in combat.

I am already in my third research course and out of time, I was looking for a referral dissertation service that may have a list of available topics. In the interim, of course I am researching topics myself, but as we know it is a long process.

Thank you, Katie. I appreciate you taking the time to assist me. Much obliged!

PS where are you from?

darrin coe, ph.d.
    Participant

do something on humor and hope.  study he relationship between creating humor and increasing hope.

darrin coe

Katie Metzler
    Participant

I work at SAGE, based in the London office!

Can’t believe that about your topic- that sounds very strange and must have been very disappointing! In terms of a dissertation service, I’m afraid I can’t help you. I understand that you’re running out of time but I would think that coming up with your own topic would make the research more interesting and rewarding! Still, I guess that’s easy to say when you’re not racing against the clock.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Katie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.