Resource Exchange

Home Forums Default Forum Resource Exchange

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

Use this thread to share links to your favorite books, journals or articles, websites or other resources!

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

Naturally, I have to start by sharing my Sage Publications book, Online Interviews in Real Time!

Online Interviews in Real Time focuses on data collection through dynamic online interviews in text-based, videoconference, meeting space or 3D immersive environments. Examples from my own research and others who have used these tools for scholarly purposes are included in each chapter’s “Researchers’ Notebook: Stories of Online Inquiry.” Since technology features—and the devices used to access them—change rapidly, a companion website will be updated regularly to offer guidance in addition to templates, links and examples, syllabi and learning activities. Also, a Blackboard course cartridge is available on request, with a Masters or PhD course design.

Online Interviews in Real Time offers emerging and experienced scholars the theoretical background and practical tips they need in order to for design and conduct credible online interview research. Ethical research practice is a central theme throughout the book. My intention for the book is that it can be adopted as a course text and serve as a resource for researchers, as well as for instructors and mentors, committee and review board members.

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

the New Media Consortium (NMC) and the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) have released the 2010 Horizon Report Each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on campuses within three adoption horizons over the next one to five years. Six selected areas are defined for 2010 — mobile computing, open content, electronic books, simple augmented reality, gesture-based computing and visual data analysis.

The 36-page 2010 Horizon Report is free and has been released with a Creative Commons license to facilitate its widespread use, easy duplication, and broad distribution.

Download the 2010 Horizon Report [PDF, 340 kb].

Once you have had a chance to read it, let’s talk about implications for e-researchers!

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

Free e-book: online resource for Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. In this digital anthology you will find a series of chapters covering a wide range of topics related to qualitative and quantitative behavior and social science research design and implementation.

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

See this new source of information and exchange on ethical issues:

“Internet Research Ethics (IRE) is an emerging cross-disciplinary field which studies how research is conducted in online environments and seeks to resolve the subsequent ethical dilemmas in normative and practical terms. While similar to its physical counterpart, conducting scholarly research online is different in terms of ethics and values. For example, online surveys bring new privacy concerns. Research in chat rooms confound our notions of subject anonymity and identifiability. Scraping data from social networks or public blogs complicate issues of informed consent.”
    http://internetresearchethics.org/

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

Read my new article on EDUCAUSE Quarterly: “Uncommon Places for Research”. See http://tinyurl.com/uncommonplaces. I’d be happy to discuss it so if you have thoughts or questions please post.

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

The mission of the  “Virtual Human Interaction Lab is to understand the dynamics and implications of interactions among people in immersive virtual reality simulations (VR), and other forms of human digital representations in media, communication systems, and games.” See the list of publications for published research on these topics!

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

This is  “Periodic Table of Visualization Methods” offers some interesting options for illustrating narrative texts or representing relationships of concepts or data.

ILA ALLEN

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the list for I found some that are very interesting to read!!

ILA ALLEN

My old mentor recommended your book to me for I will be conducting online interviews.  I like the online website and the book is very user friendly and easy to understand the information.

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

See CourseSmart to learn more about the new version of Online Interviews in Real Time! Wondering how to teach a course, seminar or a few units on this topic? Download a syllabus! Or post your question and I will offer some instructional suggestions.

Share your comments: have you used eTextbooks? As an instructor or student? 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.