Sequential Transformative Mixed Methods Design

Home Forums Default Forum Sequential Transformative Mixed Methods Design

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I am drawn to using a sequential transformative MM design for a case study using a small finite population. I prefer this design over other designs (e.g., seq explanatory/exploratory) because of the way that the transformative design uses theory.

However, my topic is not one which is often associated with social justice or emancipation. Am I still able to use the sequential transformative design even though my topic is not aiming for emancipation/social justice as a main goal?

Any suggestions you can provide are much appreciated.

Thank you

Dr Ann Lawless
    Participant

Hello Bobby
    It is very difficult to answer without knowing your topic.

In general however if you are not interested in social justice issues in the research design and research topic, then don’t draw from theory which in inspired by social justice and social transformation. This is a matter of design features – your theory will influence every other aspect of the design, and can not and should not be used for limited use with some aspects of the research design features. Theory is like water on a sponge when used properly – it will permeate and drizzle into every other feature of the research, and that is what we want and why we choose theory so carefully.

Have you considered developing theory for the research – you don’t have to use macro-theory eg critical theory of Foucault, Beck or Habermas – but micro-theories which you build up yourself and which you design around what you have said you like about HOW theory is used in social justice research. Alan Sears et al “A good book in theory” has some ideas about the various ranges and types of theory – not just the macro but mezzo- and micro-.

Alternatively have you considered using the theory you like and then allow yourself to explore how it speaks of social justice issues in your topic – don’t avoid it but embrace the opportunity of social justice perspectives in the theory?

If you want me to be more precise you will have to reveal more of the topic and intended theory, but I hope these general comments help.

Ann

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.