Should interviewees be given the questions beforehand?

Home Forums Default Forum Should interviewees be given the questions beforehand?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve

Hello

I am conducting about 35 indepth interviews for my PhD,
    and I am trying to find some references which cite the relative
    advantages/disdvantages of letting the interviewee have the questions
    prior (days/weeks) before the  interview.

I can list many of the advantages / disadvantages, as I understand them, but would welcome some references which I can refer to:

If anybody can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards and thanks

Steve

It will have a pros and cons of having questionarire before hand.
    One of the disadvantage…you seem control of the issue and it will not naturally setting.

You would really need to provide a lot more information about what you are trying to do before your question can be answered.

Is the intent to interview persons for knowledge, opionions, attitudes, or what?

Does it matter to you that what they know/report is uncontaminated by any discussions they hold between receiving the questions and the interviews?

Are the questions “seeding” their thinking about topics so that, at the time of the interview, you can really maximize time available? Thst is, is there a methodological value-added by sharing questions in advance?

The Survey Research Center at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research has published excellent guidance materials on the art of interviewing. There is also an excellent book of that title.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.