Start an International Association for Mixed Methods Researchers?

Home Forums Default Forum Start an International Association for Mixed Methods Researchers?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Sager Hader

John , I am from JORDAN , working and studying in IRELAND

Elif Kus Saillard
    Participant

Dear John,

I’m from Turkey. Sociologist at Ankara University.
    I’m teaching qualitative methodology and QDA software. In my software training workshops, I’ve faced with the demand of using software effectively in the mixed-method designs -especially from psychologists.
    I liked the idea of starting an international association for mixed-methods, believing its potential to contribute any kind of qual-quan or quan-qual engagement…

Regards,
    Elif Kus Saillard

I am Joan Engebretson from UTHSC-Houston. I teach qualitative and mixed methods research in our PhD program. I really like the idea of this type of association and network. Mixed methods is getting more widespread. I am looking forward to more information. I won’t be able to get to the conference either, but hopefully in the future….

edy chandra
    Participant

Dear John, ..
    I am from Indonesia, teaching Research Methods in Education..

Mehdi Riazi

Dear John,

Excellent idea. I think, as another colleague, mentioned we will be able to form SIG groups and bring in ideas from different fields. My field is applied linguistics and I think many colleagues across the globe will be willing to join and form the group.
    Best;
    Mehdi Riazi
    Macquarie University, Australia

Alan Sloane
    Participant

I’d certainly join such an association, so by that measure I’d reckon it a good idea!

I notice that several people mentioned modeling it on other associations, and some even suggested examples. One that comes to my mind is INSNA – The International Network for Social Network Analysis. It’s just held it’s 30th Annual Conference (“Sunbelt” in Italy) which was the biggest ever with some 600 papers and close to 1000 attendees. It also publishes two journals, one online and one through Elsevier, has a Mailing list (SOCNET), and a sophisticated website with space for member profiles, publications, course syllabi, software and sample datasets.

I think there are two particular lessons that would be well taken from INSNA: first, it’s always been very welcoming – in particular to students, with membership rates around US$50 per year, and the same for Conference registration – and offers a wide variety of workshops/tutorials by noted experts at very affordable prices at its Conference; and second, it’s not split into disciplinary sub-groups or SIG’s. I think the latter is particularly important for an association that is fundamentally methodological in orientation – it means we all have to make an effort to make our research comprehensible to one another and not disperse into disciplinary specialization. For me, that focus of methodological process independent of theoretical or empirical discipline has been one the most significant achievements of the recent Mixed Methods books by Profs Creswell, Greene, Tashakkori, Bergman et al.

Alan Sloane
    UCC, Cork, Ireland.

Betty Akumatey
    Participant

I teach Sociologyat the University of Ghana Legon, Ghana,

Millicent Musyoka
    Participant

Hi John,
    I am excited of this idea. I attended the conference and listening to you and others sharing about it I was convinced it was a right path to explore. I can’t wait to know what is going on after our meeting in Baltimore.

Hi John,

As a trainee in MMR who is very excited about the field, I would welcome the opportunity to network and build capacity through an online forum such as this. Indeed, this seems a logical next step. Such forums are gaining popularity in other domains, such as those for knowledge utilization theorists, online communities of practice etc. I think this format is key to the dissemination of MMR but also would provide excellent opportunities to identify potential collaborators and build capacity in MMR. I have a long career ahead of me (if I am so lucky) and buidling linkages through an association such as this would be essential to my success.

Wish I could attend in Baltimore…

Take care

Mandy

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.