Sufficient Sample Size to represent the population of the study???????!!!!!!!!

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Sufficient Sample Size to represent the population of the study???????!!!!!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Dear friends, Ladies and gentlemen

First of all, I am delighted to start the discussion in this network. I hope I can learn form you. Well, I am working on the relationship between Organizational Innovativeness and Organizational Performance of Housing Developers in Peninsular Malaysia / My sample frame was driven from REHDA (Real Estate and Housing Developement Association) in Malaysia. there are 920 registered developers in all peninsular malaysia. i have managed only to get 67 responses. My study is qualitative . I used a survey. Would that be sufficient sample to draw conclusions about the populations. There are 9 variables in my theoretical framework. I need your suggestions and thoughts on this , PLEASE

Abiodun .A. Joachim
    Participant

Henry Mintzberg did a classical work on Managerial Roles. have you ever wondered what his sample size was? Analyse the geographical spread of your respondents so far, do more of follow up so that you could reasonably reflect good follow up effort on the respondents I am sure some would reply afterward you can proceed with your analysis? You could also search the literatures as to the response rate in similar works and in particular in the locations you are considering now

Thank You so much Sir for the information you’ve provided. Well, could you share with me Henry Mintzberg work and the sample size he managed to get. Well, I have done my best in following up with them, but they simply do not want to respond for certain reasons. The response rate in the housing industry in Malaysia is terribly low… Can I get a background of what you are doing and where you are from.Thanks alot

Abiodun .A. Joachim
    Participant

Ismael,

Mintzberg studied only 5 managers. The paper written in the 70s is titled Managerial Works: Analysis from Observation . If you visit http://www.jstor.org you might be able to download the paper from the jounal Management Science 18(2) 1971 Press the searh button and type the article title or the Authors name.Searh for earlier works in the area you are working now within and outside Malaysia so as to compare the response rate with yours. I believe you might be able to find a basis to justify what you are doing. If I may ask how many months have you been on the work? You still need to stretch yourself in follow up. Personal visit or use insiders within those organisations that are sympathetic to your work and efforts. I currently teach in a Univesity in West Africa.My research focus in in Health Care Management. Quantitative Analysis, Operatios and Strategic Mangement

Abiodun .A. Joachim
    Participant

Ismael, Pls check out the discussion forum initiated by David Kleist on Sept 3,2009 It does appear some of the matters discussed are relevan to you

It smell quatitative……

Abiodun .A. Joachim
    Participant

Dear Ismael,

Again, if your responses have been mainly from a geograhical area you could scaled down your geographical scope (of study) to that geographical environment and base your analysis and recommendations on that environment. Future studies on that line will learn from your difficulties and extend the study to uncovered area. Jean-Paul comments on ”who within the individual organization needs to answer your questions? is quite instructive in designing your follow up strategies. Of course, it is probable that some of your instrument may have been administered on wrong respondents in some of the organization you are studying or secretaries who promised to pass on the instrument to the right persons who never did.As you persist in your follow up see if some of those who responded now can help influence one or two of their colleagues in the industry to your side

Best of luck

Dear Jean-Paul
    Gagnon,
    I am so grateful to your input. Well, my unit of analysis is the organization. In my questionnaire, the main parts like (organizational innovativeness) is to be responded by the CEO. However, there are other parts such as financial performance (accountign department has to answer) and other section concerning employees that the HR department has to answer. Well, it is so tough to get more than 69. This is the last number of questionnaires i managed to get. I managed to get from different states in Peninsular Malaysia. I am sorry to say that I have tried all means, but the respondents seem not interested to respond because to them it might be a waste of time. it is not a business deal. I am sorry to say that the housing developers in peninsular malaysia seem not to have social responsibility or even responsibility towards the housing industry . I am so disappointed indeed.
    Do you think since I can’t get enough response through which i can draw conclusions about the entire populations, i should conduct interviews and thus my study will be following a mixed method rather than quantitative ?
    Do you advise me to conduct interviews ?
    I even tested my model. I did not get it significant ?????????i am sad ?????????
    Here I would like to raise a question ?
    in data analysis using SPSS , what shall i do with my depenent variable
    My dependent variable is not continuous (it is about financial profitablitiy) i measured it using BPCI (Business Performance Composite INdex) which is the ratios of ROI plus ROS plus ROA for the last three years and divided by 3 . i got it using excel , then i pasted it on SPSS …However, my independent variable is organizational innovativeness . I measured it using a 7-likert scale. do you think i have to put the dv into a scale as well or leave it as it is ?
    plz advise me ?

Dear Mr. Abiodun A. Joachim,
    I would like to raise a question ?
    My dependent variable is not continuous (it is about financial profitablitiy) i measured it using BPCI (Business Performance Composite INdex) which is the ratios of ROI plus ROS plus ROA for the last three years and divided by 3 . i got it using excel , then i pasted it on SPSS …However, my independent variable is organizational innovativeness . I measured it using a 7-likert scale. do you think i have to put the dv into a scale as well or leave it as it is ?

Dear Mr. Muhamed Zubair, first nice to talk to you. Could you plz help me with how to analyze the data when ur dependent variable is ratio and ur independent variable is continous (scale) ?
    how to do it ?
    I would like to raise a question ?

Dear Ismail..Before you analyse further, do check out your items and measurement. Having significant or not…it’s not the answer a long as you are doing it in a proper and right manner. The finding is not on our favour, let the data and the method show what the answer of your research.

Dear Jean-Paul,
    Thank you very much first of all. Well, My IV is a 7-likert scale. It was adopted by Wang and Ahmed (2004) and some items were modified. Anyway, My IV is a scale, but my DV is not a scale. It is not a continuous variable. As I explained earlier, I am measuring the housing developers’ financial performance. My worry is that my model (IV and DV) is not significant. I ran regression. I was so down and disappointed because my model got a problem. Logically, it must not have any problem. I mean innovativness as an IV should have a link with performance. What to do with the DV , now?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.