Teachers’ Autonomy and Professional Deveopment:

Home Forums Default Forum Teachers’ Autonomy and Professional Deveopment:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nadia Ahouari_Idri
    Participant

Taking the teacher’s professional development as an inquiry leads us think of the blind execution of the teaching programmes. In Algeria, reforms started for some years and changes in syllabi, assessment and materials have been introduces. Teachers need to follow the programmes, which proved to be complicated? Why? Having discussed with a number of middle and high school teachers, they found difficulties to change their teaching habits. They used to teach in an automatic manner because using the same textbook for a number of years with no change has nothing to do with professional development, I think. The reform also puts focus on continuous evaluation where a mixture of both formative and summative evaluation is imposed. Contrarily, reform in higher education lets more freedom to teachers. We just get the subject and headlines and the teacher should develop his own content? How can you relate this to the teacher development and autonomy? I believe that making efforts in designing a syllabus, choosing the teaching method and the evaluation process. This has, eventually shown negative and positive outcomes. This made teachers develop professionally and be autonomous in his teaching, made them self-directed, but it also led them live under pressure of time and effort. This also is more likely to menace the teacher’s feedback and outcome and, thus, we cannot guarantee the needed quality of teaching.
    In fact, all what we do in higher education remain without tutors. We teach and we only need to respect administrative delays and requirements. In the classroom, nobody knows what happens.
    I believe that teacher autonomy should be surrounded by both the tutors and learners at the same time. It might be a good idea to implement learners by their evaluations of the feedback of their teachers when being autonomous and free from the pressures mentioned above.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.