Teaching research methods for undergraduate students

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Teaching research methods for undergraduate students

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Enzo Nussio
    Participant

Hi everybody,
    I am a young researcher and teacher assigned with an introductory research methods class for fourth semester students at the political science department of the Universidad Nacional in Bogotá. The course is called “qualitative and quantitative research methods”. As I am doing this course for the first time and I am quite free in its design, I would like to share ideas with fellow teachers. I am especially interested in getting to know the design of similar courses at other universities. Also, I would be happy about any suggestions on useful writings or textbooks in Spanish language.
    Looking forward to your comments

Hello
    I’m going to teach research methods to the undergraduate students in business and it is the first time for me, I want to know if you can help me with the course syllabus or a good book or anything which can help me.
    Thanks

Enzo Nussio
    Participant

Hi Neda,
    Thank you for your comment. I just started with my course. It is in the political science department and it is called “Quantitative and qualitative research methods”. What I basically do is introducing research techniques – descriptive and a little inferential statistics for the quantitative part, and interviewing, participant observation and document research for the qualitative part – after a short introduction on epistemological questions.

I use some of the following books and articles (some of them are in Spanish as I am teaching in Bogota):
    Agresti, Alan, and Christine Franklin. 2008. Statistics: The Art and Science of Learning from Data. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.
    Atkinson, Paul, Amanda Coffey, and Sara Delamont. 2003. Key Themes in Qualitative Research. Walnut Creek: Rowman Altamira.
    Brady, Henry E., and David Collier. 2004. Rethinking social inquiry: diverse tools, shared standards. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
    Bryman, Alan. 2001. Social Research Methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    ———. 2004. Social Research Methods. 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    Burnham, Peter, Karin Gilland, Wyn Grant, and Zig Layton-Henry. 2004. Research Methods in Politics. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
    Corbetta, Piergiorgio. 2000. Metodología y técnicas de investigación social. McGraw-Hill.
    Corbin, Juliet, and Anselm Strauss. 2008. Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory. Third Edition. London: Sage Publications.
    Creswell, John W. 2007. Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design. Choosing among Five Approaches. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
    ———. 2009. Research design. Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
    Delgado, Juan Manuel, and Juan Gutiérrez. 1994. Métodos y técnicas cualitativas de investigación en ciencias sociales. Madrid: Sintesis.
    Denzin, Norman K., and Yvonna S. Lincoln. 2005. The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
    Elster, Jon. 1989. Nuts and Bolts for the Social Sciences. Cambridge University Press.
    Hernández Sampieri, Roberto. 2006. Metodologia de la Investigación. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill.
    King, Gary, Robert Owen Keohane, and Sidney Verba. 1994. Designing social inquiry: scientific inference in qualitative research. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
    Kuhn, Thomas. 1962. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. London: University Of Chicago Press.
    Lofland, John, and Lyn H. Lofland. 1994. Analyzing Social Settings: A Guide to Qualitative Observation and Analysis. Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing.
    Mintzberg, Henry. 2005. Developing Theory. In Great Minds in Management: The Process of Theory Development, ed. Ken G. Smith and Michael A. Hitt. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    Neuman, W. Lawrence. 2002. Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. 5th ed. Allyn & Bacon.
    Popper, Karl Raimund. 1959. The logic of scientific discovery. London and New York: Routledge.
    Rubin, Herbert J., and Irene S. Rubin. 1995. Qualitative Interviewing: The Art of Hearing Data. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
    Sudman, Seymour, and Norman M. Bradburn. 1982. Asking Questions: A Practical Guide to Questionnaire Design. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
    Williams, Michael. 2001. Problems of Knowledge: A Critical Introduction to Epistemology. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.

I hope this short literature list helps you somehow. Neuman and Creswell 2009 may give you good overviews, I don´t know how “business-friendly” they are…

Good luck

That was really helpful. Thanks a lot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.