Temporality in Qualitative Research

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Temporality in Qualitative Research

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Keegan
    Participant

Hi All, 

I’m considering the concept of Temporality within a Phd thesis, specifically, Method and Findings Chapters.

The initial qualitative interviews were conducted in 2010 with a sample of participants with limited knowledge on the topic. Latter interviews (2011-Present) have show much improved knowledge of the topic, with much more sophisticated responses due to technological and experiential improvements in practice. 

While this is not a longitudinal study (all different cases) I’m trying to ascertain if the idea of temporality may be used to explain the variance in interview protocol, in the method chapter, i.e. trying to explain that over time, participant knowledge increased, therefore I was required to adopt a different approach to questioning. 

Question for Methodspace: has anyone any experience of this, and if so, how did you manage it?

*Source for Temporality: Sandelowski, M. (1999), Time and qualitative research. Res. Nurs. Health, 22: 79–87. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1098-240X(199902)22:1<79::AID-NUR9>3.0.CO;2-3 

Citation upon which I’m investigating:

“….temporal factors play a critical role in purposive sampling, the content and structure of data collection and analysis techniques, and in the re-presentation of data in the qualitative research report. Qualitative research designs may be oriented to synchronic and/or diachronic analyses. The Trajectory Model is a useful framework for sampling, data collection, and analysis”

Stephen Gorard
    Participant

A key issue is whether you planned you change the questioning in the later round.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.