To what extent are end-of-life care options communicated to patients and families, when and by whom?

Home Forums Default Forum To what extent are end-of-life care options communicated to patients and families, when and by whom?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I am interested in communicating with other researchers who have the same or similar interests, and in sharing concerns and findings. I am a doctoral candidate for the Doctorate in Health Administration, University of Phoenix, School of Advanced Studies. My basic education is as a hospital trained (3year clinical program) professional nurse (RN).  My research is on the inconsistencies in the care provided,  and options presented for EOL care to hospitalized, dying Medicare patients and their families. Transition from curative to palliativecare is often not suggested. referral to hospice may be made too late or not at all, and families may be unaware that the patient is not benefitting from therapeutic (often invasive and costly) interventions. Medicare provides hospital benefits equally for eligible elders, so insurance coverage for care is not a vald reason for inconsistencies. Loretta Carter-Miller, MA, RN

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.