Unit of observation: individual or organization?

Home Forums Default Forum Unit of observation: individual or organization?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kaedro
    Participant

Hello,

In my research my unit of analysis is the organization (i.e. soccer sponsors) and data will be collected through interviews with a representative from each sponsoring brand. My doubt is, because these individuals will be speaking on behalf of the organization (they are representing the organization), is the unit of observation the individual or the organization?

Janet Salmons
    Keymaster

Kaedro, This is a great question. With the brief information you have provided, here are my thoughts on the unit of analysis. If you want to analyze an organization, then your questions to key stakeholders are about the organization, its policies, practices, management, etc. If you want to analyze the individuals’ experiences as employees or customers, perceptions, and so on about an organization, then your questions to key stakeholders are about their personal or professional experiences.

Does that help?
    Janet

Kaedro
    Participant

Hello Janet,

Thanks for your answer, but I already know what the unit of analysis is. It is stated in my first post that it is the organization.

The unit of analysis is not the same as the unit of observation. While the unit of analysis refers to what I am studying, the unit of observation refers to whom of what is providing me with the empirical data.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.