Use hypothesis on Qualitative

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Use hypothesis on Qualitative

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nassir

Hi friends ,, i have question ,,, 

can use Research question and  hypothesis in Qualitative method , if yes and have articles said that just send me title of articles or book ,,if not and have articles said that just send me title of articles or book..

because really need know during this days

Katie Metzler
    Participant

Hello Nassir,

In qualitative research, you generally have research aims and a number of research questions. Hypothesis is a term most often linked with quantitative research, which is deductive, rather than inductive.

For a very good explanation of the role of the research question in qualitative research, try this from John Creswell http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/22782_Chapter_7.pdf

Good luck!

Nassir

Thanks more ,,,

can told me ,which is better use Nvivo or Maxqda ,,,,and this first time i use qualitative method ,, difficult or not 

James Gab

Nassir,

I suggest to try QDA Miner Lite. It’s a FREE qualitative software that has been designed to meet the basic needs of researchers and analysts performing qualitative data analysis. 

To download the software click on the following link: Free Qualitative Software

If you need more advanced features (GIS, Clustering, Multidimensional scaling, Crosstab,…), you can purchase the full version of QDA Miner. All QDA Miner features are displayed on Provalis Research website : Qualitative Research Software

Whether you are prepared to speak of hypotheses or not is a fundamental matter depending on your philosophical commitments (I am sorry this is not an easy answer). In neo-positivist qualitative research, it is natural to speak of hypotheses and causation. In post-structuralist research, for instance, this is not so uncommon (not to say totally uncommon). A good intro is the second chapter of (even if you are not from political science and international relations): Jackson, Patrick Thaddeus (2010): The Conduct of Inquiry in International Relations: Philosophy of Science and Its Implications for the Study of World Politics London: Taylor & Francis.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.