Using baseline data in an Intention-to-treat procedure

Home Forums Default Forum Using baseline data in an Intention-to-treat procedure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Débora
    Participant

I’m using an Intention-to-treat methodology for control participants in a study with an experimental group to be compared with 2 different control groups. In such a methodology, it is frequent to use in the analyses the last follow up data from subjects who drop out or cross over groups. In my study, I decided to use it because many people in the control groups changed their personal conditions during the study and they did not meet the inclusion criteria for a control group anymore. I can’t remove them from the database, because my N is very low and I’m worried about power. My question is that, given they were “perfect” as control groups at the beginning of the study (they met the inclusion criteria), can I use their baseline data in the post and follow ups to compare them with the data from experimental participants? Do you know any study using this type of intention-to-treat protocol, or any Research Methods textbook supporting this decision? Thanks!  

Katie Metzler
    Participant
    Katie Metzler
    Participant
    Débora
    Participant

Thanks a lot, Katie. The first paper is a marvellous document on I-T-T method, and the second one is useful for designing non-random studies. But both say nothing on the comparability of baseline data from control participants with posts and folloups from experimental participants in an I-T-T procedure. I knew them, and like a lot the first one, but they do not help me :-(((. In any case, thanks a lot!!! ;-)))

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.