Using Ethnography

Home Forums Default Forum Using Ethnography

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Donovan Williams
    Participant

Is there a particular outline for the chapters in an ethnographic study?

Alice MacGillivray
    Participant

I have only used ethnography a few times, but I have seen considerable variation in thesis and dissertation formats. Here are two that are quite different:

Forgetting and remembering: The desegregation of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. Race, community struggle, and collective memory 

Cathy J. Collins, Fielding Graduate Institute, 2004. 2004. 3140183. 

A person-centered ethnography of Thai Buddhism: The life of Phra Rajavaramuni (Prayudh Payutto)

Grant Allan Olson. Cornell University, 1989. 1989. 9001319.

Alice MacGillivray, PhD 

Donovan Williams
    Participant

Thank you very much Alice! I will look them up.

Dr Ann Lawless
    Participant

There is no established protocol or fixed convention.  Heaps of variations.

If for a thesis, I would recommend you look at theses that passed and see how they did it, plus consider your own unique features (arising from the unqiue needs of your research) and disucss it with supervisors/colleagues. 

I seem to recall Conteh raises this in her book on supporting ehtnography stduetns.

Ann

Donovan Williams
    Participant

Thanks Ann. I have been looking at the variations in outlines. I am only confused as to what comes after the Discussion chapter,

I discussed with my supervisor if I should have a chapter that says “conclusion” or if i should stop at discussion. She advises she has to read the study before she can give me a definitive answer, so I’ll wait and see.

Dr Ann Lawless
    Participant

You might find it useful to take a look at:

Conteh J, Gregory E, Kearney C and Mor-Sommerfeld A 2005 On writing edcuational ethnographies.  Trentham Books.

Daniel R.T. Hartley
    Participant

No.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Default Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.