What is your experience with review time with journals?

Home Forums Methodspace discussion What is your experience with review time with journals?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mridula

I am of course not going to name any journals but what is your experience about getting your papers reviewed? I was wondering if there is some data that tells us about the review time of journals other than what they say from their website?

HI

most journals say about 12 weeks to turn round a review but in my experience it can take a lot longer. The longest i had to wait for one was 8 months … a very long time and I won’t submit to them again

Best wishes

Michelle

Mridula

Hi Michelle many thanks for the reply. May I ask which area do you mostly write in.

Hi

Mostly in child mental health using discourse and conversation analysis. i do also write on qualitative research ethics

Michelle

Mridula

Me in management related subjects but mostly social media and tourism these days and occasionally education. I am seeing 6 months as norm whatever is said on the website. 🙁 Hence this thread.

They seem to be taking longer and longer. I think there is difficulty getting suitable reviewers and they are receiving an increase in submissions

Mridula

Michelle that sounds quite reasonable.

Dave by few months you mean less than 6 months? And many thanks for your reply.

Mridula

Michelle, Dave I am wondering if we will see a day when authors could rate review times like tripadvisor? 😀

Jeremy Miles
    Participant

Incredibly variable.  Some medical journals can be very fast – I’ve heard of rejections within minutes from the British Medical Journal.  However, that doesn’t generalize to all – I have had a paper under review in Prevention Science for six months, we got a revise and resubmit, and they took six more months for the review.

There was a paper in Psychological Methods recently that had an original  submission date of 2006 and a publication date of 2011.  (Although there were replies, and these will also have been reviewed.)

I don’t think there is any information publicly available – perhaps there should be.

Much of the time difference depends not on the journal, but on the reviewers.  I am an editor, and when I ask a reviewer if they can review a paper, I sometimes get a review back the same day.  Sometimes I get a response that they are willing to review the paper after a week or two.  After 4 weeks if we have not received a review, we send reminders.  After a couple of months we give up. Then we need to ask another reviewer, who takes a week or two to say yes, then doesn’t do anything.  I have sometimes had three of these people in a row – that obviously delays the review process.  

When you are asked to review a paper, think of the authors, and (a) Answer (positively or negatively) as soon as you can.  If you must answer negatively (b) suggest other reviewers who might be a better fit – often recent PhDs or graduate students can be good reviewers, because they are knowledgeable about the area, but they might not have published enough for editors to know about them, and (c) write the review!

I agree Jeremy.

It is often the academics that are the problem. When I agree to do a review it is done within 2 weeks. It would help if people were a bit mroe committed when they say they will be

Michelle

Mridula

Jeremy and Michelle many thanks for that perspective. I also review for a journal and they give me 4 weeks. And they are pretty keen about the timeline, or so I feel, so I don’t miss it.

Now the journal I am waiting for, updates the online status every two months and I am now wondering if it is because they had to give up on some of the reviewers after 2 months so they come back and say ‘in review’! 

Jeremy Miles
    Participant

They have to be pretty keen about the timeline – they act pretty keen, and a lot of people don’t meet it.

Literature says the average time is 6.5 weeks, but then again reality is different. Colleagues have their paper reviewed in years!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.