What type of sample is this?

Home Forums Methodspace discussion What type of sample is this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ayana Conway, Ph.D.
    Participant

I am conducting a secondary, quantitative study.  The cohort was identified from newspaper articles and then data were gathered from public court records. The population includes all people convicted of murder in the state and the cohort includes those whose articles were located in three major newspapers in that state.  Additional data were also obtained from public criminal records. 

How should I define the sample?  Purposeful?  Criterion?  Convenient?

Thanks.

Dave Collingridge
    Participant

Here are some thoughts.

If identifying the cohort from newspaper reports was simply a way to gather a group of murderers, then it could be argued that the sample is convenient.

If having one’s name mentioned in the newspaper is essential to belonging to the cohort (i.e., you want to evaluate the effects of being mentioned in a newspaper on a particular outcome), then it could be argued that the sampling is criterion.

Ayana Conway, Ph.D.
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.  Both apply i.e. newspaper reports was how cohort members were identified and being mentioned in the paper is essential to the study.

Dave Collingridge
    Participant

Based on what you wrote I would argue criterion sampling because being mentioned in the newspaper is essential to the study.

I admit I am not familiar with criterion sampling, but sampling based on a specific criterion does not seem to rule out that it is also a convenience sample. It is certainly not random sampling. If I understood you correctly, it would be the analysis of the entire population if all people convicted of murder were also mentioned in the newspaper? But since cannot check this assumption, I guess, it is a sample; and it is unlikely to be a random sample because the people mentioned in the major newspaper are not systematically different from people mentioned in smaller newspapers (e.g., because the crimes differ).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.