Why there is only ONE GT method

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Why there is only ONE GT method

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andy Lowe
    Participant

GT emerged from the collaboration of Dr Barney Glaser and Dr Anslem Strauss.  All other so called GT authors have adopted the jargon of GT [because it has transcendent power].  These other fake GT authors still consider that GT is a sub-set of qualitative research.  This approach is quite wrong.  GT is a general research method which can use all kinds of data.  The fake view of GT as outlined by Corbin has become popular because it eliminates the necessary psychological regression when moving from substantive coding to theoretical coding.  By so doing if forces the data rather than allowing the latent pattern to emerge.

Put simply if a researcher wishes to carryout authentic GT if it has not been authored by Dr Barney Glaser then it is not GT.

Hi Andy

Why do you think Glaser and Strauss’s Grounded Theory is more valid than Strauss and Corbin’s Grounded Theory?

How does Strauss and Corbin’s method force the data? How does Glaser and Strauss’s method allow the patterns to emerge?

Thank you.
    Patsy

Andy Lowe
    Participant

Hello Jane

Go to http://www.groundedtheory.com read the authentic explanation of GT only then is any discussion legitimate. I have been working closely with Dr Barney Glaser for the past 20 years and I also had long discussions with Dr Anslem Strauss before his untimely death. I know of what I speak. Get up speed Jane and then may be can have a meaningful discussion.

Andy

Andy Lowe
    Participant

Patsy

There is no one line answer to this issue. Before we can have a meaningful dialogue on GT you will have to do some reading. Back in 1992 Barney Glaser published a very detailed answer to your question: “Basics of Grounded Theory Analysis; emergence V forcing”. He wrote the book in a response to the misguided fake GT version as authored by Corbin. You will see that in the preface of this book Barney Glaser requests his old friend Anslem to withdraw the book or change the title. At that time Anslem was in rather frail health and declined to do anything about it.

Following the recent publication by Sage of the GT handbook Barney Glaser wrote another book[“Jargonizing” 2009] in which he carefully explains why ALL the contributers to SAGE handbook of GT book do not understand GT. Rather than rant on-line he decided to to do a GT on this book to discover the core variable which emerged as Jargonizing. Jargonizing explains in detail how these misguided qualitative researchers hijacked the language and concepts of authentic GT without understanding what they really mean.

Both titles are available on-line from this website: http://www.groundedtheory .com

I trust after you have read these titles your questions will be answered. If not email again and I will try and clarify any remaining questions.

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.