Working with audiovisual sources

Home Forums Methodspace discussion Working with audiovisual sources

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest good articles that mobilise especially music as data, and /or provide reflections on methodologies and epistemologies of such work of art from any social science. My research uses blended audiovisual materials, not just music but also film. However, I am looking to explore music methodologies in this instance.

Dave Collingridge
    Participant

I think that existential-phenomenology might be a useful methodology. Existential-phenomenology explores experiential phenomena from the perspective of those who experience the phenomena. This method provides a rich and thick understanding of  experiences that far surpasses anything that can be gained from traditional quantitative methods.

I think it would be interesting to capture audiovisual manifestations of music in a quantitative way (as data), and determine if that quantitative data is associated with experiential data captured on the same music. I am not sure, but my feeling is that this area of research is underrepresented, which is unfortunate because music influences our lives in so many ways.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.