Mixed Methods researchers

Writing up MMR results and discussion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Himanshu Rajput
    Participant

In my PhD thesis I have used a mixed method research design (explanatory sequential design. First, I conducted survey and then on the basis of results of survey, I planned my qualitative study. In qualitative phase data were collected through focus groups. From John Creswell (Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches) I understand that my “results” chapter will have three sections: first, results of quantitative phase; second, results of qualitative phase, and third, an explanation of quantitative results with qualitative findings. I am confused about “discussion” chapter. Should I present the findings (and implication thereof) of both phases differently or should I go for a general discussion of findings? Please guide me.
    Thanks and Regards…

Dr Ann Lawless
    Participant

I realise you posted this ages ago and did not get a reply. How did you resolve the question?

If still unresolved you may find it useful to look at other theses and dissertations and see how other apprentice/novice researchers resolved this issue in MMR. They have faced the same issue as you and had to resolve it. You can find such documents in various repositories and digital collections.

In general, a general discussion and analysis can only take place after you, the researcher, have done the slow careful specific step-by-step analysis – and in a PhD thesis you reveal ALL of these research processes and research decisions as part of the thesis.

And you may have chosen a very detailed MMR methodologist, and therefore might have been directed by the advice of the major theorist/practitioner you chose to inspire your research design?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.