The number of books on research methods is growing all the time and it’s increasingly difficult to keep tabs on new publications and to get a grasp of their intended market, their level of engagement and their epistemological orientation. Here we seek to point researchers, students and university teachers in the right direction for different types of books and book-related resources such as companion websites, datasets, testbanks etc.
If you are thinking of writing a book in methods, please visit the Publishers page.
Textbooks for students
There are now hundreds of textbooks on the market and it is not possible here to present or review them all. We have tried our best to list the main books in each category. The listings are made in alphabetical order by author surname. Introductory texts in research methods are available in a number of different guises: General books for all of the social sciences, or general texts that are specific to certain social science disciplines. There is also a growing range of research project texts available for students. Please use the list below to browse the titles most relevant to you.
- General Introductions to Social Research
- General Introductions to Research Methods in Political Science
- General Introductions to Research Methods in Business Studies
- General Introductions to Research Methods in Education
- General Introductions to Research Methods in Psychology
- General Introductions to Research Methods in Health
- Introductions to Qualitative Methods
- Introductions to Quantitative Methods and Statistics
- Research Design Texts
- Research Project Texts
More specialised textbooks for students and researchers