In August 2020 our focus was on teaching and learning online with Dr. Linda Bloomberg as our Mentor in Residence. We discussed online teaching generally, and teaching methods in particular. (See that series of posts here.)
At that time, Linda and I were both working on new books about e-learning. She was working on a book for instructors, and I was working on a book for students. We decided to reconvene when both books were out, and that is what we did.
Dr. Bloomberg discussed her new book, Designing and Delivering Effective Online Instruction: How to Engage Adult Learners, as well as her forthcoming fifth edition of Completing Your Qualitative Dissertation: A Road Map From Beginning to End. I discussed the student perspective explained in Your Super Quick Guide to Learning Online.
Use the code MSPACE20, for a 20% discount when ordering SAGE books.
See our discussion in this MethodSpace interview.
Linda has published extensively on online pedagogy, serves on online teaching advisory boards, and holds the position of Associate Director of Faculty Support and Development at Northcentral University. She is committed to developing materials that will ensure teaching excellence for online higher education. In addition to her posts on MethodSpace, see posts on the Teachers College Press blog:
- Transitioning to the World of Online Education: Preparing Higher Education Students and Faculty for Success
- Raising the Bar on Student Engagement: Feedback as the Medium of Instruction
- How to Support Struggling Students and Foster Learning and Growth? Demonstrate Vulnerability and Empathy
- Reconceptualizing Discussion Forums as Spaces of Active Learning
Designing and Delivering Effective Online Instruction: How to Engage Adult Learners has been nominated for the 2021 Division of Distance Learning (DDL) for the Association of Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), one of the premier international organizations for instructional design and ed-tech.
Relevant MethodSpace Posts
- Congrats Dr. William (and tips for success)
- Teaching Methods Online
- One Year Anniversary of Teaching Methods Online
- Teaching Research Design through the Lens of Critical Praxis
- Learn about teaching methods online!
- Resources about Research Questions
- Trying to teach in the Covid era? Need FLUX pedagogy?
- View Webinars on Qualitative Research Online with Human Participants